It's weeks like these that make me want to shout for joy and weep in appreciation to my Heavenly Father of the many miracles he provides for me everyday. We had many appointments set up this week but it's been hard to help these people keep those appointments, so they don't always work out. But despite the occasional flakiness of the derelict of Erie, the humility outweighs those negative qualities.
I've surprisingly come to like finding. I can remember being trained in Bedford and despising it, to the point where if people didn't keep their appointments I got so frustrated and impatient that I would feel like throwing my scriptures and breaking down in disdain of finding. I'd like to think some kind of maturity has come over 17 months and I realize that nothing happens in missionary work until you find people to teach. Elder King and I have discovered a street close to ours that we have deemed a "golden street." For some reason, everyone on W. 11th St. seems to be ready to hear the gospel. We have much work to do down there. We actually have an appointment with a young family tonight that hopefully will be very receptive to the truths the gospel has to offer. The husband, who we OYM'd, felt like his children really "needed Jesus." Hopefully that will go well.
We were tracting that street the other day and found a man who let us right in off the street because he had some questions about our religion. After we sat down he revealed that he had checked a triple combination (Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price) from the library and asked if he was allowed to read it. We quickly affirmed his plea and went in to teaching about God's plan for us, truths like the Pre-Earth Life, children of our Heavenly Father, and a chance for all mankind that had never occurred to him before. We later tracted into a house that nobody answered and so pressed on, but as we knocked the next house, a black lady came out of the one we had just knocked, looked at the card we left and shouted over to us, "did you leave this here?" We hurried back to talk with her. Though she had little religious background, she started to weep at our testimonies of God's plan for us and a knowledge of Jesus Christ. She said that she didn't know why she was crying and we told her of the Holy Ghost and that it was testifying of the things we were telling her. She said that she was very glad that she decided to answer the door.
You can't do this work and not realize the indescribable happiness it brings. You can't feel this kind of joy anywhere else in the world. It's moments like those that help me know that I am exactly where God wants me to be.
Elder Low
No comments:
Post a Comment