It was an unfortunate week because I got very sick. It began with a stuffy nose, which led to a sore throat, which led to me losing my voice. Then I developed a cough and a headache and that takes me to today - recovering a bit. For future reference, what's the best way to remedy that common cold as soon as it hits? But despite me feeling sick, we pressed on. Elder King was very charitable to me this week, taking on a lot of responsibility of talking and teaching while my throat healed. He also made me soup! He's definitely the best new missionary I could've asked for. But as far as missionary work goes, this week has been pretty great as well. We found several new invesitgators. But the best things were in one less-active, one recent convert, and one potential investigating family.
Last week we stumbled upon a less-active gentleman who had not been to church in 18 years. He joined the Church in Key West, Florida entering into the smallest branch of Latter-day Saints that I've heard of. Because of his faithfulness, he held about every calling he could in that branch and definitely felt the pressure. He's also single, so he had no family to fall back on. Shortly after going through the Washington DC temple, he fell away, burnt out and exhausted of the responsibilities he felt he was too inadequate to fulfill, which brought him up to his hometown, Erie. He had not attended Church here at all but the many years of inactivity didn't dim his testimony. We sat down with him and simply invited him to attend our ward (which is a LOT bigger than his branch in Key West), he came and the principles of the gospel have started to rekindle the joy he felt in the Church those many years ago. Dusting off his quadruple combination, we taught him a stirring Restoration lesson on Saturday and his countenance has completely changed.
Our recent convert Ed for the first time on his own passed the sacrament this week. To see him take the responsibility of one holding the Priesthood and performing his duties with confidence and poise has been such a great blessing in my life. He's come so far and to see Ed so entrenched in the gospel has been one of the greatest joys of my mission.
Remember the man we talked to on the street last week that said his "kids needed Jesus"? His name is Eric and we've come to know his wife, Toni, quite well. Although for one reason or another, we haven't been able to meet with them and their 5 beautiful children this week, we have an appointment scheduled for this Wednesday. Ever since Amie, Leo and their family didn't get baptized back when I was in Bedford, I've longed to find a family who would accept the gospel together and progress toward this wonderful gospel. Perhaps my prayers have been answered with this young family. We brought a member family over to greet them yesterday and Toni told us how coincidental our meeting was, she said that they weren't sure why they bought the house they're in, but since they've been here, their children have been asking many questions about God and what happens after this life, questions to which Toni felt like she wanted answers to herself.
The success that I long for, the wonderful fruits of my labours are what I desire so much. I've said before that there really is no greater joy than missionary work. And I've promised God, like King Lamoni's father in Alma 22:15, "I will give up all that I possess, yea, I will forsake [everything], that I may receive this great joy." The desire of my heart is within reach and with God on my side, I know that I cannot fail.
Elder Low
No comments:
Post a Comment