Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission

Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission
Pittsburgh

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Monday October 8, 2012


It's been a great weekend. Once again, I have been showered with revelation during this wonderful General Conference season. The words of apostles and prophets have stirred my heart and answered my questions. Such is the benefit of living in the dispensation of the fulness of time (Ephesians 1:10).
 
Things have been clicking recently. It's been a slow and stressful week and the answers to my questions came just in time. I can't wait to study the words again and again when the Ensign comes out. One of the major questions was what I should do with my life, what occupation. I don't want to rob my spiritual experiences of their sacredness but needless to say I feel like I've been pushed in the direction of wanting to be a teacher. It's one job that I don't feel stress about right now at all. I know that everyone keeps saying that every missionary wants to be a teacher but I think my mission has really shaped what I feel like I'm good at. Anyways, that's how I'm feeling right now. I find it ironic that a teacher was not on the occupation major list that you sent me last week. Oh well.
 
President Monson's Sunday morning address really puzzled me at first. President Monson has always been one of my favourite speakers ever since I was a little boy because of his stories. But for this address, the stories really took up most of his time. I pondered for a while about the reason why he talked about these blessings and how they came just when they were needed. It really helped me see and appreciate the little things in life and in coordination with President Uchtdorf's address, I hope that I will always have the perspective to see the Lord's hand in all things, to see miracles everywhere instead of rationalizing them as coincidences. The Lord is in the details of our lives, and He never ceases to amaze me of how he keeps His expansive kingdom in check while still focusing and blessing the one.
I think I was the only one watching General Conference who missed President Monson's "big announcement" about lowering the ages for missionary service. We had an investigator coming late and I was in and out of the chapel on the phone at the beginning. Elder Swensen came out with a surprised expression and told me about his announcement. It really made me think of Dallin actually, how soon he could potentially leave on his mission. As much as I don't want him to leave before I get home, I'm sure that the Lord will call him wherever and whenever is best. In that spirit, Elder Cook's talk came as so much more radical following those revolutionary announcements. Utilizing one of my favourite scriptures ever (Alma 5:26), Elder Cook described how to retain a remission of sins in a world caked in evil. When we joined this Church we left the neutral ground and ascended to something higher, to have that always with us, we must make sure that we can continually sing that song of redeeming love, always asking ourselves, can we feel so now?
 
How many times have I felt abandoned by God in one trial or another? In response to Joseph Smith's plea in Liberty Jail (Doctrine & Covenants 121), President Eyring revealed that God is never hiding from us, but rather we hide ourselves whenever we choose to go contrary to His will. The pavilion of the Lord really turns into our own pavilion that is only torn down as we serve others and come to know Him better. Our wills humbly fall into submission to that of our Heavenly Father's, who only wants the best for us.
 
Possibly my favourite talk this General Conference was (as it was for everyone) that of the Apostle Jeffrey R. Holland. Despite it's reminiscence of a talk he gave to the MTC in early 2011, the new spin he gave to it echoed to not just missionaries, but to all members of the Church. We had a less-active member come to this session who hadn't been to Church in 18 years. When I asked him how he felt afterward, he confessed that he felt called out by Elder Holland. The message that hopefully got across to everyone was to keep the faith and to not abandon the Church ever. For it's not over until it's over. We are to never look back. I don't know about you guys, but I want to start anew and be someone who can honestly say, "Yea Lord, I love thee more than anything."
 
Elder Low

No comments:

Post a Comment