Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission

Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission
Pittsburgh

Friday, May 18, 2012

Monday May 7, 2012


I FREAKING LOVE ERIE.
Seriously, this area is golden. I’ve never stepped into an area where there is so much going on. The Erieites here are in a perfect situation for finding as well. My new companion says that tracting actually works here. There not super rich but it’s not slummy or run-down. Erie is a quaint city set on the edge of the lake. On a good day you can see the light blue of the sky touch the dark blue of the water in the distance. I’m eager to get down to Presque Isle and enjoy the beach, pretending that I’m somewhere tropical. Everyone keeps telling me that I arrived at the perfect time; apparently it just snowed last week and the temperatures are continually ascending.
 The members here remind me a bit of when I served in Hershey. The local medical university (LECOM) attracts many young LDS families so I could probably describe it as a “Western Ward.” Elder Shipp (a former Jamestown Zone Leader) described our Zone by saying that “every area sucks except Erie 1st.” It reminds me a little bit of home, but there are advantages to each type of Ward. I felt like I got really close with the local members in wards where a majority of the people were Pennsylvanian converts. So I’m afraid that like the majority of the members in Hershey, I may feel a little estranged because of the robotic and seemingly independent nature of what missionaries should be. But I’m enjoying it a lot. The members here are very missionary minded – in fact, we were invited to attend Relief Society and address some concerns the women had about doing member missionary work. The Ward here, although not as big as Hershey, is fairly large and young, so I’m slowly getting to know some people.
 My new companion is Elder Levi Swensen from the outskirts of Great Falls, Montana. I was his Zone Leader in Altoona when he was serving in Johnstown so I had a little bit of knowledge about him beforehand. He’s a wonderful, hard-working missionary, who has a great desire to be obedient. It’s fun to see how far we can push to be obedient rather than the flipside of how far we can bend the rules as missionaries. We already have 3 investigators with a baptismal date this transfer and I am excited to see how we teach and are blessed with more people to teach as we find.
Your ending comments reminded me of a concern one of the missionaries brought up at Zone Leader Council on Friday. In John 4:31-38, the Savior commissioned his disciples to go and reap the fruits of what the prophets that came before them had already sown. In a like manner, we are sent to “thrust in our sickle with all our might” (D&C 4:4). Our Mission President reminded us that although we are planting seeds everywhere we go, we are sent to reap. Then one missionary explained that he felt he had golly well thrust in his sickle and that he hadn’t seen much of the fruits that we’re supposedly left to lay up in store. President Topham said, “but that’s the best part! What does it say that we will reap?” D&C 4:4 says that if we do this we will not perish, but bring salvation to our own souls. Our missions are to convert ourselves and to become the best we can be and maybe we’ll get some baptisms along the way.

Elder Low

No comments:

Post a Comment