I walked out the door this morning with an unfamiliar wheeze as the temperature outside surpassed the temperature inside with regards to heat. It was 76 degrees this morning. Which is crazy. Looks like along with our extremely mild winter we’ve had here, we’re going to have an extremely hot summer. Again. Joke’s over guys; I guess global warming is real. With President Topham’s desire for missionaries to stay longer in the areas they serve, I shudder to think that missionaries, including me, will start to feel so comfortable in their areas, that leaving them may feel like leaving home all over again. I mean it’s not a bad thing to love the area like it’s your own, but there’s something neat about being in unfamiliar territory with nothing but the Lord to rely on. It definitely pushes you and keeps you focused, but when members start to befriend us like chums rather than respect us like the servants of the Lord we should be, it makes desire go down and complacency increase. I’ve realized that although there are worse sins than others and that one descends by degrees, the Lord cannot look on ANY sin with ANY degree of allowance. One black spot no longer makes a sheet of white pure. Any degree of disobedience makes us unfit for the Kingdom of Heaven. Now although we are all human and we all make mistakes, we should not find solace in this fact. Simply declaring we’re human and indulging in sin does not make it right, but there is something holy and refining about constant efforts to be better. My prayer is that as I keep trying to be better, I’ll be more blessed as a missionary. Unfortunately missionaries are not perfect; in fact we’re far from it. But as we are obedient, we can work wonders in the name of the Lord. Just this past week, we got back in contact with Bob, an investigator who we hadn’t seen for 3 weeks because of a missed appointment. We felt inspired to try him on Saturday afternoon at a specific time. And amazingly, he was home. He had been up in New York taking care of his ailing grandmother and came back to Hollidaysburg just for the afternoon. He told us he had been thinking of us in this time of trial. The Plan of Salvation seemed real to him now and he expressed a desire to watch the general conference he had missed. He told us that when he returned again from New York, he wanted to see the Church. This is that same investigator who really said when we first knocked on his door that he was a strong Catholic and he wasn’t interested. I am amazed at how the Lord blesses us according to our faith. And I suppose as Elder Holland said, “surely the thing God enjoys most about being God is the thrill of being merciful, especially to those who don’t expect it and often feel they don’t deserve it.” I’m so grateful for a loving, forgiving, and merciful Heavenly Father. Elder Low
Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission
Pittsburgh
Friday, May 18, 2012
Monday April 16th, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment