Well, I wasn’t expecting this. I guess you got your wish Mom; I’m getting transferred tomorrow. This whole time, Elder Kovacs really wanted to be released as a Zone Leader and up until a couple of days ago, President was thinking that he was going to leave Altoona first. But since he prayed about it, he said that Elder Kovacs should stay. So there must be something here in Altoona he still has to accomplish. I can only say that I hope the same is true for wherever I’m going next (I’m guessing either Erie or Avalon). My time in Altoona has been short and, from what a lot of people might glean from my letters, somewhat unproductive. However, since I came here at the beginning of 2012, the investigators have dramatically been rearranged. Not one of the investigators we are working with now were we working with 4 and a half months ago. And of the missionaries have been in Altoona in the last year that, I’ve been the only one who has not seen a baptism here. It can be fairly discouraging looking at it from that point of view but in the grand scheme of things, Altoona has changed me and taught me so many things. Probably the most important thing which is that success is not necessarily measured in baptisms. Since the calling of newer and younger Zone Leaders, President Topham has made the interesting decision to place a lot of us in Zones we have already served in. Taking into account this reason, I thought one of the major reasons I was called to Altoona was because it was so close to Bedford. And for a long time I thought that’s what I was here to do; if nothing else, I’ve helped the Elders down there find some new investigators out of the old ones that had fallen through the cracks. But I can honestly say now that it wasn’t only for Bedford. I’ve always had a firm belief that no matter where you’re called to, you’re there to make a difference because you are you. I don’t know why I lost that belief for a while and forgot about the inspiration that President Topham obviously has. I was called to Altoona for multiple people, and a lot of them I probably don’t even realize. But something that I needed to learn, and probably everyone should also take into account, is that the worth of souls is great in the sight of God. That does not mean that the worth of nonmembers is great only if you get them wet. But our purpose states in Preach My Gospel that we are to invite others to come unto Christ, member or nonmember. Success is Spirit that missionaries bring into a home. Success is faith that others feel when we show our faith in them. Success are the tears that are shed when you tell the congregation you’re leaving. I had the awesome opportunity to speak on my last Sunday in the Altoona ward and expressed in the most straightforward way I could that the Gospel was true and that Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. Success was the older less-active lady named Dee Miller, who has been slowly coming back to Church since we started working with her 3 months ago, when she came up to me after my talk in sacrament meeting, took my hand in hers and just thanked me, for she said, “Thank you. You helped me a lot. You’ve made a difference in me.” I was worried that soon after she was reactivated next month, she would slowly return to her old ways, but the gospel has made a deep impact on her life and I got the warm feeling that all would be well. Elder Low
Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission
Pittsburgh
Friday, May 18, 2012
Monday April 30th, 2012 (Happy click day to meeee)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment