Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission

Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission
Pittsburgh

Monday, December 12, 2011

Monday December 12th, 2011

Well the weather in Hershey isn’t frightful, in fact the 40 degree weather is delightful, it’s weirdest December I’ve known, but for some reason I wish it would snow, I wish it would snow, I wish it would snow…

Unlike you, Mom, I believe there is no Christmas but a white Christmas, just like the ones I used to know. I think I told you last week that right after our baptism on Saturday (details further on, don’t worry) the Hershey Ward held their Christmas Party. And despite the there not being a flake of frozen water present outside, the building was bursting at the seams with people in attendance. Not only was our entire ward of like 300 active members there, but many people brought friends and family, including one of our investigators who we’ve been trying to get out to Church forever. Also, at the last minute I was asked to be the under-study for the innkeeper of our Primary program’s Nativity pageant. No costume, no script, no idea of when I was supposed to come, I’m pretty sure I scared some kids with my blunt declaration that there was no room in the inn. It was a good night.

In fact the main reason that night was so good was because it was the end of a majorly stressful week. We had planned the baptism of W___ and R____ to take place an hour before the Christmas Party started strategically at that time so that it wouldn’t be much of an inconvenience for the members of the Ward to attend both activities at the building. But as the baptism for the boys commenced, there was hardly anybody in attendance and the pianist had just arrived, I felt so disappointed in our ward’s effort to fellowship and retain this struggling part-member family. However, more and more people started to come in just after the program started. Soon the room was full with families and their little children, so much that there wasn’t even enough room for everyone to sit down.

This pattern of me being stressed out and relieved preceded the baptism all through the week; to say the least it was a roller coaster of emotions. But more and more am I seeing the influence of Jesus Christ in the lives of everyone, especially myself. I love the Christmas season for that reason. And it’s been an interesting twist to not have to worry about the material things that accompany the idea of the commercialized “X-mas.” And we don’t have to look any further for fulfillment of the Christmas Spirit than our local Book of Mormon,

“Yea, even six hundred years from the time that my father left Jerusalem, a prophet would the Lord God raise up among the Jews—even a Messiah, or, in other words, a Savior of the world.” (I Nephi 10:4)

“And behold, he shall be born of Mary, at Jerusalem which is the land of our forefathers, she being a virgin, a precious and chosen vessel, who shall be overshadowed and conceive by the power of the Holy Ghost, and bring forth a son, yea, even the Son of God.” (Alma 7:10)

“And behold…a sign at the time of his coming; for behold, there shall be great lights in heaven, insomuch that in the night before he cometh there shall be no darkness, insomuch that it shall appear unto man as if it was day.

“Therefore, there shall be one day and a night and a day, as if it were one day and there were no night; and this shall be unto you for a sign; for ye shall know of the rising of the sun and also of its setting; therefore they shall know of a surety that there shall be two days and a night; nevertheless the night shall not be darkened; and it shall be the night before he is born.

“And behold, there shall a new star arise, such an one as ye never have beheld; and this also shall be a sign unto you.” (Helaman 14:3-5)

“And he shall be called Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of heaven and earth, the Creator of all things from the beginning; and his mother shall be called Mary.” (Mosiah 3:8)

Too often are we caught up in the things of this season that we don’t realize the greatest gift that was given to us. All Jesus Christ requires of us to give back is a broken heart and a contrite Spirit.

“And I would exhort you, my beloved brethren, that ye remember that every good gift cometh of Christ.” (Moroni 10:18)

Elder Low

P.S. I’ve actually cut my hair since the beginning of my mission. I’d like to say that I’m getting better. And I think just the angle from that picture makes my hair look really short.

P.P.S. I have not received your Christmas package yet. I will be on the lookout.

P.P.P.S. UGH. I actually haven’t heard about Hanna’s Tonga trip because I’m so freaking lazy at replying to letters. I want to make a super huge shout out to everyone who’s written me in the last couple months that haven’t gotten a reply. Sorry I’m so flaky. Everyone needs to hold me accountable this week so I can get caught up on my mail. I have not forgotten any of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment