Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission

Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission
Pittsburgh

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Tuesday October 11th, 2011

You want to hear something devastatingly sad? I had NO idea that it was Canadian Thanksgiving yesterday. And here I was half-heartedly celebrating the most random holiday Columbus Day yesterday. Sometimes I have to wonder when and why some holidays came into effect and why it was necessary to close the library. But it sure sounds like you all had a wonderful weekend filled with celebrations and big dinners. Despite the really disgusting email Dad sent me of “Canadian Delicacies,” I am sure missing the home-cooked dinners of Calgary.

The weather here is beginning to slowly turn autumn-ish. It’s getting cooler in the evenings, the days are getting shorter and leaves seem to be littering the streets even though the majority of the foliage around Hershey is still green – go figure.

What else should I write about… oh yeah! My new companion is Elder Sp from South Jordan, Utah. He’s an absolute stud and fireball when it comes to missionary work. While I was driving up to Pittsburgh last Monday I was so worried the whole time, half because of my own inadequacy, the other half in regards to how my trainee would be. It’s funny that my biggest fear six months ago leaving the MTC was being paired up with a lazy and disobedient trainer, and now it came full circle, realizing that one of my biggest fears was receiving a trainee who was unwilling to work and stuck up towards what had to be done. But I was pleasantly surprised by Elder Sp. He actually reminds me a lot of how I was in my first transfer – still worried about girls, media, and the daunting length of two years. In other aspects, he reminds me of having a little brother, copying the little things that I passively do. When I do not wear my helmet, he doesn’t either, when I wear proselyting clothes, he does, when I cuff my short sleeves, so does he. It’s really funny, but I just hope that everything I do is a good enough example so that the Lord and I will not mind that he emulates those things.

The work is already picking up because of the unshakable faith and fire Elder Sp has from the MTC. On the back of our door, we have a quote from Elder Ballard sharing that if we talk to 10 people each day separate from tracting and lessons, then he promises in the name of Jesus Christ that our baptisms will increase. Elder Sp really took that to heart, refusing to go in until we have talked to that many people. I feel like he’s training me, especially in finding. When it comes to finding I become such a wimp and when it comes down to showing Elder Sp “how it’s done,” I’m just grateful for the Lord’s promise in helping me accomplish the thing which he has commanded me. I’m so glad that those called of God have the promise of His assistance whenever it is needed.

The field is white, even in Pennsylvania.

- Elder Low

P.S. I MISS ASHTON SO MUCH I’M GONNA DIE. He’s walking and talking now?! What the crap! He better not grow up anymore until I get home! >:[P.P.S. Who all are you teaching voice and piano? Are they all members of the Church?

P.P.S. I don’t know if you noticed this or not Mom but you randomly capitalized some letters throughout your letter and I was trying to piece them together for a secret message or something, but to no avail.

No comments:

Post a Comment