The good news is that I’m alive.
I would like to think that I’m working hard also, but I think that the incessant bike riding up Pennsylvania hills is finally starting to take a toll on me. The fatigue definitely started to take hold of my companion as he began to get really sick near the end of last week. The rain didn’t help either. These contributing factors have made it very hard to work and effectively teach people on doorsteps and the streets. If we had more planned appointments with solid investigators, things might be different, but yet again we haven’t been blessed with that either. I’m not sure why the Lord would take away a resource as important as our car in a time of difficulty like this. I wonder what I’m supposed to learn or gain from this.
On Saturday, while my companion lay helplessly in bed all day, I had a lot of time for personal study. And I accidentally spent five hours reading Jacob chapter 5. I don’t think Elder McConkie was wrong in saying that next to Isaiah, Zenos was the most important prophet of all time. His allegory of the House of Israel being compared to a tame olive tree in the Lord’s vineyard (which is constantly referred to again and again in our present canon) is amazingly accurate in predicting the events of things past, things as they now are, and things to come. However what entranced me about this chapter is the end, when it specifically applies to me. In verse 70, the Lord’s servant gathers other servants (latter-day missionaries) to nourish, dig, and prune in the vineyard one last time before the harvest. However in these last days, Zenos prophesies that the final missionary effort with being exceedingly fruitful, so I can’t understand why the baptisms of the Pennsylvania Pittsburgh Mission don’t even come close to that of the early missionaries like Dan Jones or Wilford Woodruff.
On my mission I know I’ve felt empathy for the Lord of the vineyard, who, after digging and dunging, trimming, pruning, transplanting and grafting, sees the inevitable decay of those who refuse to take root and subsequently become corrupted. Sometimes I too just want to throw down my spade and shears and cry out to anyone who will listen, “what more could I have done for my vineyard?” Sometimes I feel like I’m doing all I can do and continue to be disappointed by the fruits of my labours. I can only begin to understand what God feels when His children refuse to accept their Father, even when continually “his hand is stretched out still.” (Isaiah 9:12)
In verse 72, Zenos passively gives us a promise that as long as the servants obeyed the commandments of the Lord, the Lord would labour with them. At this time, the close of this transfer, I need to make sure that I am doing everything I can to have the Lord be with me in my efforts so that I can fulfill Zenos’ prophecies. Because without obedience I cannot even hope to be entrusted to seek out the Lord’s elect and bring them to the truth.
I hope Brandon, Mana and Ashton are doing well in Japan, that Gavin and Megan are doing well in Vancouver and that Chelsie is doing well in Victoria! I miss you guys and love you a lot!
Elder Low
No comments:
Post a Comment