Well, it’s that time of year again that NOBODY’S been waiting for: TANNER’S TOP 30 ALBUMS… I MEAN TOP 5 TALKS OF GENERAL CONFERENCE (FALL 2011 EDITION)!
Of the Saturday Morning Session, the award goes to President Dieter F. Uchtdorf!
President Uchtdorf really pulled a fast one on me for this conference. I think I’ve always digested the concepts that we are nothing compared to God AND that our souls are of great worth in the sight of God, however I’ve never comparatively measured the two seemingly conflicting statements side-by-side. His counsel on speaking kindly to others when they mock you and knowing that you matter personally to our omnipotent Heavenly Father really brought me out of the dumps going into General Conference.
Of the Saturday Afternoon Session, the award goes to Elder D. Todd Christofferson!
Elder Christofferson is fast becoming one of my favourite speakers. His analogies from Book of Mormon Nehor-ology to the unrepentant God-fearers of today coincide extremely well. The Book of Mormon truly is written for our day and it’s true that the common fact that unites our church against everyone else is the doctrine of repentance. We know God is neither passive or apathetic when it comes to sinning, and for that reason we must share this knowledge with all those who don’t know or think they know better.
Of the Sunday Morning Session, the award goes to Elder M. Russell Ballard!
I’ve tried so hard to find the line between calling myself a Mormon and a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Elder Ballard very clearly noted the difference between the two names. It is important that we distinguish ourselves with the name of Christ in order to show others that this is His Church, just like it says in 3 Nephi 27: 7-8.
Of the Sunday Afternoon Session, the award goes to Elder Kazuhiko Yamashita!
I loved this talk so much because of its complete focus on missionaries, so I guess I’m a little biased. Listening from a missionary’s point of view, a lot of the talks speak very differently and indicate a hidden meaning in thrusting in our sickles to a white field. But this talk really spells it out: the people you influence on your mission will never forget you. He charged the missionaries of the world with a task to be obedient and more importantly, loving.
Possibly my favourite talk of the whole conference came from the Priesthood Session; and that award goes to President Henry B. Eyring!
I decided since I had such a wonderful experience with praying and seeking for something specific before the sessions in the April Conference of this year, that I would make a list of questions that the speakers, by way of the Holy Ghost, could answer for me. I will only share the one question that was personally answered through this talk because I was so amazed by its result.The question in question was “How can I be a better tool in the Lord’s hands while serving as one of His missionaries?” And before I share my answer I need to provide a little background. Since the beginning of this transfer, I’ve known that President Topham has been looking at me to possibly train soon and that was one of the reasons I was companioned with such a great missionary, Elder B. As a result, I’ve felt very anxious and my companions have spared no expense towards my anxiety as they incessantly teased me about it. With all my feeling of inadequacy, I decided a week ago in my letter to President T. that I wasn’t ready to train. The answer to my question really sucker-punched me in the stomach because it came in a form I was not expecting at all. Although several talks on missionary work and the requirements of a good teacher and disciple of Christ were given, President Eyring hit it right on the nose. In his talk, he spoke of recognizing the Lord’s preparation on us to fulfill special callings. He even used the word “trainer” several times and I have no idea where that term is used other than in missionary work. When the Lord calls people to confound the wise, He has this way of calling the weak, simple and teachable to do His will. When he said that, I felt like he was talking directly to me.
Despite my letter to President T. last Monday, he still called last night to assign me as a trainer and district leader. I knew I had to act on the answer I was given in that talk and accepted both calls. Today I’ll be heading to Pittsburgh to meet my new companion and bring him back to Hershey.
President Eyring pointed out that a certain scripture had been quoted 3 times that day of conference and therefore had some eternal significance for those listening. But when he quoted 1 Timothy 4:12-16, it took on a new meaning for me,
“Let no man despise thy youth (not even yourself); but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
“Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
“Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.
“Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.
“Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.”
-Elder Low
P.S. I’ve attached some pictures of the Hershey Elders helping a nonmember flip up his shed which had been lifted, tossed and completely turned over by the flood.
No comments:
Post a Comment