Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission

Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission
Pittsburgh

Monday, August 8, 2011

Monday August 1st, 2011

Wish Chelsie a belated happy birthday from me! She's probably glad that I wasn't there to complain about the Silver Dragon and accidentally plan a boating party on her birthday again. I hope she had a wonderful day despite the whole Church incident. :)

I didn't know Katie worked somewhere different! But I guess I wouldn't know.. she hasn't written me yet for some reason. Maybe the next time you see her ask her what address she's staying at or grab her email so I can write her.

Why are you guys driving instead of flying to Victoria? Is it really that much cheaper? Why isn't Dad going with you guys? I wish you guys safe travels and will be praying for you.

I actually did receive your package! It was a good peak to my week, thanks for the pictures and food. Although I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with all the Canadian souvenirs...

Anyways, this week has been fine. We started to reteach Paul (one of my investigators from my first transfer). He had been sick and away for about two months and he's as excited as ever about the Gospel. Although I'm not sure if I'll be here to witness him being baptized, I just hope I can do all I can to help him prepare. Other than that, this week has been hard for us to teach people we find. For some reason people don't keep appointments very well and I'm not sure how much more I can stress how important our message is without being overbearing. Maybe that extra push is necessary? I don't know, any tips for helping people keep their return appointments?

The other day I realized I'm starting to love the people, seeing them as children of God who need to be nourished by His word rather than seen as a faceless baptismal statistic. Being out here on a two year mission seems like such a short time for the grand calling we hold. No other time in my life will I have to my disposal angels and miracles for the sole purpose of trying to convert random citizens. I realized I needed to teach all I could in that couple of seconds when they're actually listening and leave them pondering with a good taste in the mouths. I got a fortune at a local Chinese food restaurant that read "You will be sharing great news with all the people you love." How true is that? If I don't have that love, the great news of the Gospel is meaningless.

My pocket watch broke this morning at exactly 8:59:40, with the second hand constantly incapable of ticking. The now seemingly ironic phrase Dad engraved on my watch of "Seek that which lasts" is becoming ever more true to me. The principles and ordinances of the Gospel are what last and it's my job to swing the Sword of the Spirit (being the Word of God) to emphasize the need for a greater cause. But without that Spirit I can only hopelessly flail the sword, disregarding it's power of conversion and only endangering poking someone's eye out.

Elder Low

No comments:

Post a Comment