In light of this last General Conference, I have much pondered the talk by Richard G. Scott entitled “How to Receive Revelation and Inspiration for Your Personal Life.”
One of our investigators, (actually the first and only investigator I've gained from a member referral in the members' home) named Gary is absolutely golden, except for the fact that he loves and openly admits to being addicted to coffee. We've told him that by living the Word of Wisdom, he'll be able to see the profound blessings of that commandment in his life. At the conclusion of the lesson, he told us that he would definitely pray about it. Now I don't doubt the sincerity of his prayers, for I believe he is closer to God than I am, but I hope that his bias toward his vice and his already preconceived notions won't block those channels of sacred communication with our Heavenly Father.
The world, with it's neon lights and obtrusive noise, tends to blare its obnoxious influence wherever we go. With the busyness of life, it's almost taboo to set apart time anymore for pondering, for quiet moments of peace and understanding. I was, and still am, too guilty of this. I remember constantly having music played, whether at home on the computer, in the car on the radio, or anywhere else with ear buds, filling my head with the voices of the world rather than the voice of the Spirit. I fear this dulled my spiritual sensitivity growing up. It was hard to find the voice of the Spirit on my mission because it was foreign to me; for it really wasn't much of a voice at all. Where so many other voices compete for our attention, we miss the subtle promptings from the spirit of love, peace, joy, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance.
I hope that Gary feels that voice. I hope that amidst the race of life, we can slow down and pause for those moments of enlightenment. The answers don't always come at once, but blessed is he that waits on the Lord, for the Lord's timing is not ours. We only see ourselves in terms of the here and now, whereas the Lord sees us in terms of forever. Against the backdrop of artificial and temporary light, the candle of the Lord continues to lead us, for if we pay attention to it, we shall hear it say, “This is the way, walk ye in it.” (Isaiah 30:21)
Elder Low
No comments:
Post a Comment