I feel like I can only describe how I felt during this week day by day. It was a very strange week; full of ups and downs. But I guess before I forget, I should tell you that transfers are next Tuesday (July 24th). I still have no idea of what will happen, but I'm prepared for the worst. I'll know my fate on Saturday and will tell you the outcome next week.
Monday – Drove to Jamestown and had a pretty fun P'day with their district. I thought that after I got out of high school I would not have to be forced to play a stupid sport that I didn't want to play. Little did I know that high school never ends and I yet again embarrassed myself in dodgeball and basketball.
Tuesday – I was on exchange in Olean, New York for the entire day and it was relatively successful. I realized how much I can learn from younger missionaries and how undiligent I've become. o_o
Wednesday – Ed is doing awesome! He told us that he gave away all his coffee and tea. In our challenge for him to be baptized he said that he would and that he was already notifying his sons. He completely acts like a member at Church. We don't even need to shepherd him around at all!
Thursday – We had a really great dinner at our Elders Quorum President's house. He reminds me randomly of Brandon. He's a really cool guy and loves to tease me.
Friday – We had a wonderful lesson with the Hawley family again. Up until this point, we had only taught them about Jesus Christ and the Plan of Salvation. The order we taught them the lessons could not have been better because they truly needed messages of faith and repentance in their lives. Then the Plan of Salvation and Gospel of Jesus Christ made so much sense to them. We were a little worried to hear their reaction to the Restoration because the mother (Tracey) really does have a strong faith already. I started to worry halfway through the lesson as we talked about a prophet on the earth today. Tracey all of sudden got really quiet, put her hands in her face, and I could tell she was starting to cry. She got up and walked out of the room in the middle of teaching the Restoration through the Prophet Joseph Smith; I had no idea what she was thinking. When she came back in she told us how everything had suddenly just clicked with this lesson, how it really tied everything together. She said that she definitely needs to do some reading and praying. I am amazed at how much the whole family wants this in their life.
Saturday – Although we achieved the most lessons during this day, I felt like we didn't accomplish anything. I guess it's possible to go through the motions as a missionary and meaninglessly check off lessons without having a full purpose of heart. Throughout my mission I always thought that I'd be happy if I was always busy. But I definitely see that happiness is not situational, but a choice and is directly to how much effort you put into it.
Sunday – Everything came crashing down on me after Sacrament Meeting yesterday. The stormy backdrop out the church windows totally reflected my mood. The baptism we were supposed to have canceled literally at the last minute. Also the lady we asked to teach our gospel principles class randomly didn't show up. Feeling scattered, overwhelmed and unprepared, I dismissed our class which actually had a couple investigators in it to go into gospel doctrine. It was possibly the most frustrating Sunday of my mission.
Monday – These truly are the best days. They bring me back and help me realize that I'm starting anew. It'll hopefully be better this week.
Sorry if that sounded depressing but I felt like I probably shouldn't sugarcoat my feelings. Writing is also a great outlet for me. It probably isn't what you want to hear, but thanks for allowing me to talk to you about my feelings. One returned missionary in our ward said that more than writing what happened everyday of his mission, he wished he would've written how he felt about those things. Hopefully someone can look back at this and draw strength from it, maybe even me. It's nice to reflect and see that one bad day doesn't make a bad week, but that the Savior will lift us up day by day, no matter what the situation.
Love,
Elder Low
No comments:
Post a Comment