Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission

Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission
Pittsburgh

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Tuesday January 17th, 2012



Seems like it’s been a hectically cold week back home. I suppose it
has been that way here as well. It’s probably reached its coldest this
past week. However the snow has still been only a minimum. But
yesterday the freezing rain was an interesting change. I’m so excited
about the temple being built in Calgary! From the pictures, it looks
like it’s going up really fast. I keep being reminded that it will be
done before I go home; once that hits, I’m sure it’ll be a weird
experience for me on the downhill run.

My weeks in Altoona are never boring with Elder Neilson, but the work
that is actually progressing here is at an all time low. We’ve been
working our tails off to find new investigators and at the height of
all of our appointments falling through on Sunday (even ones with
ACTIVE members), some rays of sunshine have ebbed through as we’ve
started to get some referrals. Today we’re planning on contacting a
media referral from the mormon.org website. And also out of the blue,
a less-active man called us up and asked us to teach his girlfriend
about the Church. I’m so grateful for those tender mercies the Lord
bestows upon us when we’ve been working so hard. I don’t think I’ve
ever experienced such a range of emotions as I have on my mission –
the trials have been harder, but the successes have been sweeter.

I’m sure a similar, but probably more intense, wave of confusion went
through the mind of Abraham as he was commanded to do the unthinkable
and put through a trial beyond all human comprehension. From
latter-day revelation, we have the blessing of realizing the
significance of his test, for Jacob passively informs us that “it was
accounted unto Abraham in the wilderness to be obedient… in offering
up his son Isaac, which is a similitude of God and his Only Begotten
Son.” Bearing in mind that Abraham himself nearly lost his life on an
idolatrous altar by his own father, he must have abhorred the thought
of human sacrifice (Abr. 1:12-20). Though Abraham was also delivered
by an angel of God, he faced an even more difficult test by what could
be described as a question of the integrity of God. Abraham knew that
the Law forbids human sacrifice or murder of any sort. On top of
which, this act of offering his young child of promise, destined to be
the father of empires, would mean the end of the very covenant line
that God had promised to establish. How could such a contradictory
command be from God? But Abraham’s undaunted faith and obedience
carried him through the test until an angelic intervention declared
that it was finished. It gives me a new meaning to the Lord’s
comforting advice in D&C 122:7-8, “Know thou, my son, that all these
things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. The Son
of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?”

I love you all, you give me strength with your prayers.
Elder Low

P.S. I haven’t even given you my new address in Altoona (technically I
live in Hollidaysburg)
1201 N. Juniata St #9
Hollidaysburg PA
16642

P.P.S. I'm looking for a story for a talk that I have to give in my
ward soon. It's the one from the Sunday School lesson relating
Heavenly Father to a railroad worker and how he has to hold the lever
for the train to pass by but in so doing is unable to save his young
son who is innocently walking across the tracks. Does anybody know
what I'm talking about?

P.P.P.S. Finally, here are some photos from my time in Altoona. I
believe the first couple pictures are January Zone Leader council and
my District with President and Sister Topham and the last three are
pictures with my companion Elder Neilson.

No comments:

Post a Comment