Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission

Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission
Pittsburgh

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Tuesday September 13th, 2011



Well there’s no need to wonder or worry about where I’ve been for the past couple days, because there literally hasn’t been anywhere I could go.Me and some of my companions were joking during the huge storms and floodings that were occurring; wondering if our parents were even aware of the catastrophic conditions. But I guess you were. And it sounds like you were a little more worried than I was. I’m not trying to downplay the seriousness of the bizarre weather, but I felt pretty blessed compared to what happened to the rest of the city. 
Last Tuesday was when the rain started. And honestly, compared to the disappointing rumbles of a supposed earthquake and the passing effects of Hurricane Irene a couple weeks ago, I thought I could handle a little rain. But it turns out that the Signs of the Times are a little closer than I thought. With large amounts of water accumulating in road-spanning puddles Tuesday evening, my wet companions and I thought nothing of gliding through one particular 2 or 3 inch deep puddle. However, after our car emerged from the splash, the car just stopped – making a clicking noise every time we tried to turn the key. After pushing the car to the side of the road in the pouring rain, a man pulled over to help us. A failed battery jump resulted in the man giving us a ride back to Hershey and we planned to hike back to the abandoned car the following morning so it could be towed. To our dismay and bewilderment, water somehow splashed into the car’s air intake, blowing a couple rods and rendering the car useless without a complete engine transplant. All in all, this meant that we, the five elders of Hershey, were left without a means of transportation.
The next couple days forced us indoors for most of the time anyway. The streets turned into rivers and the rivers turned into floods, blocking all possible routes from Hershey to any surrounding area, making work for our tri-companionship impossible, even if we had a car. I could probably say that I developed a bit of cabin fever, and strangely enough, I longed to be out proselytizing rather than being cooped up inside without any passage of leaving. One day after giving our car keys to the mechanics, we actually locked ourselves out of the apartment, realizing that our only key inside was on that keychain we previously handed over. Of course being the smallest of the bunch, I was hoisted up to our window while it magically slid open in the pouring rain. It probably would have looked super sketchy to any sort of bystander.
The work in Hershey is slow as usual. But like you said, I think in light of the effects of the recent catastrophes, people are being compelled to be humble left and right. The properties here aren’t built to withstand this much of water, so our missionary work as of late has been mostly helping people we come across, both member and nonmember.
When you have a lot of time on your hands and nowhere to go, it’s interesting the amount of meditation that you can accomplish. With the automatic and immediate responses expected by our generation, we rarely seek the time to be calm, not being idle or lazy, but in contemplation of worthwhile and Godly aspects. My advice would be to slow down, wait a bit, smell the flowers, feel the Spirit. You don’t need to experience an excess of water to find time to be still.
Elder Low
P.S. I told you a couple letters ago that I would really appreciate a children’s song book if you sent me a package in the near future. Not a big one, but one of those pocket-sized ones we have at home. Also if you do send me a package, it would be grand to get some more ties (skinnier ones, ie. from Le Chateau if you please!) and also my shorter winter coat. You know, the one that’s black and double-breasted. I know I have the longer coat but since I’ve been informed that I won’t always need to wear a suit in the winter, I could just wear a white shirt and my shorter wouldn’t look awkward.
P.P.S. I actually just got a letter from Jared this week! And it’s great to hear that Derek is loving the MTC. I am SO jealous that Elder Holland came to talk to the missionaries there.

No comments:

Post a Comment