A little birdie named Derek told me that you’ve created a blog to put my emails on. Well. Um. That’s cool I suppose. I wish I had known that before. I think I would’ve censored my emails somewhat but I don’t think I put anything on there too personally incriminating.
Yeah I hope you can forgive me for the gargantuan letter I wrote to you guys last week. I had a lot to say. This week’s will probably be a little shorter. But that’s not to say you should shorten your letters. I love reading what’s up at home. And that Word Document idea of writing down something throughout the week you want to tell me is grand. Hopefully that will make your letters a little longer. Wooo
In fact I did meet Elder Shipp for a couple moments when I first got to Pittsburgh. It was a little awkward. Not with Elder Shipp but that whole mission transfer meeting thingy. Elder Shipp was the first of a jillion elders to shake my hand as I proceeded to the chapel where the meeting was being held. We were slowly transferred through a narrow hallway in the church with both sides lined with Pittsburgh elders. Not that they weren’t friendly, but that it felt forced. Elders on either side wanting to shake my hand and quickly pass me to the subsequent missionary. It was weird.
That’s terrible about Grandma’s eyes. Make sure to tell her I’ll be praying for her as well. And that’s wonderful about Ashton’s first tooth! I’m so excited to see pictures! I would send you some pictures as well, but to be honest (and this surprises myself as well) I’ve taken a grand total of like, ten pictures since I’ve been out in Pittsburgh. I don’t think I even have one of me and Elder Zaleski together yet. I took some two-hundred pictures at the MTC which I could send to you I suppose, but I don’t want to do that right now.
I can’t even imagine not having any investigators. People keep telling me that the amount of people we’re teaching is very unusual because they’re usually not as successful in this area. I may or may not have already told you that Elder Zaleski and the elder here before me had only like, two investigators before I came in. I think that the Lord has blessed me with people to teach here in my first area because he wants to hype me up for when times are slow and I won’t be teaching as many people. My least favourite time of the day is when we have to OYM. Talking to people on the streets is always uncomfortable for me because I know that they’re out there walking because they want to go somewhere. I don’t like being the interference in that mindset. Rarely do we get much success from it because I think people are less willing to listen to us when we disturb what they’re doing at the time.
As for the work I’m doing, I’m pretty sure it’s going better. I’m becoming more confident in tracting (which I never thought I would get the hang of). The trick is to treat them as an individual. To look around their house and pick something that interests you and talk to them about it, joke with them if you can, that gets them to open right up. The D___s (of whom I told you we’re baptizing two of their girls in a couple weeks) came to church yesterday so they’re right on schedule. We’re also teaching a big guy by the name of Jeff who until the third lesson seemed kind of apathetic to our teachings, but since our “likening” of the Book of Mormon to himself, I think he’s starting to see the importance of it all. Hopefully he’ll be coming to church next week. The golden C_____s I told you about last week are a little less golden and little more stubborn. They accept a lot of things we teach them but refuse to believe that we have the fullness of Gospel. Lately we’ve really been trying to back up our claims with scriptures from the Bible, which is a real struggle for me, as I am not as familiar as these people who have been studying it all their lives. They just don’t seem to understand that if they pray and receive an answer they will know the truth of all things. On the contrary, the Roman Catholic guy I told you about, Paul, is progressing immensely. Everything we seem to teach him makes complete sense and he keeps wondering what he has to do to be baptized. It’s amazing that he’s come to the knowledge that we are the only Church that has that authority because many people can’t believe that. Despite him being baptized twice before in his life in different religions, Paul has committed to being baptized on May 28th! I love going over to teach him. Just two days ago he confided in us that he had been praying to God asking Him to reveal what he needs to do to follow Him more closely. The very next day we came over to his porch and started talking with Paul. He said that we were like two angels like from Biblical times to come and bring him the truth. I’ve always heard stories like that happen to missionaries but I never thought that it would happen to me so quickly. Seriously, miracles happen everyday here on my mission.
Honestly, I think that this is because of my companion. It wasn’t until I went on an exchange with another elder this week that I’ve really seen how humble and exceptional of a missionary Elder Zaleski is. He recently gave me a talk or a letter or something written by a stake president about purifying yourself on your mission. The process sounds really intense and I’m kind of in the midst of doing that right now. For forty days you’re supposed to fast from the things that hinder you from being a perfect missionary, so I wrote down those items and keep them close so I know what I need to improve on. Items like, counting down the days ‘til the end of my mission or judging people who reject our message or speaking sarcastically to my companion or thinking of worldly music that doesn’t coincide with the Spirit. The talk/letter promises that I will have the Spirit constantly with me and I will be a great missionary. D&C 121:45-46 really poked out at me in a different way this week regarding this. It says, “…let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly, THEN shall your confidence wax strong in the presence of the Lord… The Holy Ghost will be your constant companion…” It’s going to be weird coming home.
OK OK OK. Questions. Sorry for my ranting once again. I can pay my VISA online. It’s sorta sketchy since I don’t like doing it on public computers but I guess it will have to do. I never got the package that you sent… so maybe you want to follow up with that or something. I would love it if you could send me some music or talks. The rules on music have just changed in our mission to a “good, better, and best” format. If you could, I would love some cd’s of talks by President Monson, President Uchtdorf, or Elder Holland (some of my favourite speakers) or even talks in general. Also hymnal music, not just Tab Choir but maybe some orchestrated contemporary versions as well. I would love anything by Enya, Agætus Byrjun by Sigur Rós (or anything by them really), or any classical music would be appreciated as well (I’m sure Dallin could help out with that.) I’ll be calling for Mother’s Day around five or six o’clock (Pittsburgh time) on Sunday, but I’ll only be able to talk for an hour tops. So hopefully that works for you guys. Some members offered to let us use skype, but I don’t think they’ll want us over for Mother’s Day, so I think I better just call this time.
Talk to you on sundaaaaaaay.
Elder Low
P.S. The members have been feeding us regularly. Usually we get about two or three appointments a week because the Branch isn’t that big. Cooking is kind of a gong show. I made spaghetti for the first time in my life (by myself) and it was pretty good despite burning some of the noodles. But cereal is always a good substitute.
P.P.S. I feel as if your guys’ menus that you sent along with me are optimistic regarding my funds. We have about thirty dollars to spend a week which really isn’t enough for fruit or vegetables at every meal.
No comments:
Post a Comment