I guess you could say that I was kind of stressed when I called you at the airport last week. Wow, was that really just last week? Honestly, this week in the mission field has been the longest week of my life. I am so thankful that today is Preparation Day. I’m excited to be away from my MTC district because of their fence-riding attitudes towards the rules. My last companion Elder Lavata’i actually had his family meet him at the airport (which isn’t allowed) so I had to wait with him before going through security. But it wasn’t all bad. It was interesting to see his family’s mood at the airport, it’s like his mission hadn’t even started yet and he was officially leaving now. There was lots of tears and they sang a couple hymns with their Polynesian spin on them, which really quieted the rest of the airport, all sensing the sentimental moment. So it was kind of hard to be mad at him that I didn’t get much time to talk to you guys last week on the phone. But I’m glad I got to at all.
In case you hadn’t guessed already I didn’t get to check my email last week. Though I did send you a letter at the Mission President’s house (hopefully you got that). The flight went well, a lot of us had headaches after the bumpy ride from Detroit to Pittsburgh. But other than that, I think we were all really excited to finally be at our destination. The atmosphere of Pittsburgh is already doing wonders for my nose as opposed to the unbelievable dryness of the Utah’s desert air. The Assistants told us that Pittsburgh is the rainiest city in the United States second only to Seattle. That fact wowed me, and I wouldn’t doubt it from the weather I’ve seen this past week, but somehow that seems a little farfetched to me.
I love my Mission President, President Summerhays seems really great and we had a great conversation when he interviewed me at my house. Nuts, I should really get this letter moving or else it’s going to be a kilometer long. OK, on Tuesday we had our transfer meeting and I met my trainer, Elder Zaleski. We would be serving in the Bedford area, which contains several small boroughs (that’s what they call their towns) quite far apart. From what I understand it used to be part of the Harrisburg mission, so I don’t think Dad would’ve served here. Bedford was about 4 hours from Pittsburgh, kind of southeastern.
Well I guess I asked for it. Elder Zaleski is a model missionary. He keeps all the mission rules and then some. He’s a really great example to me and is extremely humble. I keep having to tell him not to beat himself up for stuff not in his control. Unfortunately, he still has to take the lead on contacting random strangers because I am terrible at it. I’ll never forget the first time I started tracting, we went up to a guys’ house and he told us straight up that he wasn’t interested in what we had to say. We (and by we I mean Elder Zaleski while I stood dumbstruck) talked with him for a couple seconds and this man closed the door. It’s so strange finally being out in the mission field. It’s so much different being here in real life. Nothing in the MTC could’ve prepared me for the stubbornness of the people of Bedford. I’ve learned quickly everyone believes in God and but each person goes to a different church. It’s not unusual for Catholics and Born Again Christians to be living as next-door neighbors. And there’s probably at least one church on every street. I’ve never seen anything like it. You would think that by having so many potential investigators that believe in God, they would be willing to accept new doctrine, but now I’m not so sure. Now I can’t decide whether I would want to bear my testimony to a stubborn, Bible-slinging man of God or a Darwin-indoctrinated Atheist. Hm.
Though despite all this, we have found people to teach. I’m really flaky with my missionary work. God has to keep reminding me with little miracles in order to keep me from being discouraged. I’m not sure why but last night coupled with this morning, I felt especially discouraged and began to question why I was even out here. I mean how am I supposed to bear witness of something if my faith isn’t even strong enough to support me? But while reading the 9th chapter in Preach My Gospel, I came across the last paragraph which talked about not being discouraged even though some people will reject our message. I then proceeded to continue from where I left off in the Book of Mormon. It’s amazing, how the chapter you’re on can be exactly what you need. As if the paragraph in Preach My Gospel wasn’t enough, I started reading 3 Nephi 29. It’s Mormon talking about our day and how when the Gospel is brought forth after the apostasy, people will reject the message. But that if they do, it’s their loss and not the fault of the missionaries. That comforted me a lot.
Other things that have been really comforting are the members in the Bedford Branch. Even though the people here all seem pretty redneck and half of them have half their teeth missing, they’re all very friendly. The Church really is true no matter where you go. There was a point (I think it was on Thursday) that I wondered if there was any intelligent life in rural Pennsylvania, but as time goes on, I hope that I will become a less judgmental person and come to love the people. Everyone always says that that’s key to enjoying and being successful in your mission, is by loving the people. I don’t think I’m there yet, but hopefully soon.
I’ve learned how flaky of a member of the Church I’ve been growing up. Despite finding some golden potentials while tracting and contacting on the street, nothing comes close to teaching people referred by the members themselves. Seriously, if I knew how beneficial to the missionaries it would have been if I introduced them to some of my nonmember friends, I would’ve done it. I can’t stress enough how much more effective the message of the restored Gospel is when a member is encouraging them all the way. I would ask that you all consider that. I know that because of my mission, I’ll be way more willing to help out the missionaries when I get home.
I guess you wanna hear about some of the investigators we have, right? Well even if you don’t, I’m going to tell you anyways. Yesterday I met a part member family named the D___. The mother is less-active but her daughter Dakoda and Dakoda’s cousin Maddison (ages 9 and 12 respectively) are really eager to be baptized. We’re trying everything we can to help them gain their own testimonies of the Church by getting them out there in the next three weeks. Hopefully Sister D___ along with her kind-of-interested husband will help the girls get out to church. We’re aiming for them to be baptized on May 21st, but they need to get out to church 3 times before they can. We’re worried that after their baptized they’ll fall away because of the activity (or lack thereof) of their parents, but they seem genuinely interested when we taught them the Easter story yesterday, and Maddison is extremely excited to go to the Temple. We also tracted into Paul, a fifty-something year-old Catholic fellow who doesn’t really believe in his religion anymore. We taught him on his porch for about 45 minutes and have a return appointment tomorrow. My first day here, we were looking through the potential investigator records from other missionaries and I found a couple by name of Fred and Connie C___. My companion was worried that because they were last contacted in 2008, they wouldn’t be interested anymore. But I insisted and we called them. Our first lesson with them was on Friday and they seemed really interested. Sister C_____ even wondered aloud that if the verse about Jesus’ “other fold” in the Bible was talking about the Nephites. I just sat there amazed at how much the Lord had prepared this couple. Anyways, we have a couple more, but those are the most promising I think. I’ll tell you more as we (and they) progress.
Anyways, maybe I should answer some of the things you wrote to me, huh? I was really happy to hear about the sacrament meeting where the Laytons spoke. You should tell me more stuff that happens in the ward like that. I’d really like to know. Oh! Also, you should tell me how you guys are being blessed by having me out here. There’s a family here by the name of the B_____ that have a son out in the mission field, and because of that, they feel strongly about starting up a business. How’s Dad’s business doing? You said he’s getting lots of contracts, that’s good right?
When I first got my call to Pittsburgh, I was a little disappointed by the lack of foreign-ness, but now being out here, it almost seems like a completely different world and I’ve been wondering how I could possibly have the courage to share the Gospel in a different language when I can’t even do it in English. But I’m sure Derek will succeed at it, not only does the he have the companionship of the Lord, but he’s a stellar people-person as well, which is an exceptional trait in missionary work. Really? I thought Derek would do pretty well at that calling without me. I thought I always kind of hindered what he wanted to do while I kind of took over. I feel less sorry for him though since HE STILL HASN’T WRITTEN ME. Elder Zaleski has informed me that friends ARE allowed to email me and I can email back because the Mission President says we can. So maybe that’s incentive for him to write? Or maybe should I just write him first? What do you guys think? Same with Michelle, should I write her first? (by the way, lol at all the Mormons working at the Town of Chestermere) Aaaaand did you get Alan and Jared’s mailing addresses? I feel bad I haven’t written them yet…
The image I have at Mom going on the toilet bowl slide at West Ed is certain lolworthy. It sounds like you guys had a good time at Edmonton. I am not yet having pool-withdrawals but talk of it, makes me miss it. Also I miss Ashton. A lot. You should send pictures and stuff. Also, I have a great desire to write Gavin. Could you give me his address/email address? (I’m not sure which he would prefer.)
Ah man, turkey sounds sooo good right now. We ate at the Burketts’ last night and the Shepherds’ the night before and it’s really making me miss food from my own country as weird as that sounds. Nothing beats home. Plus, everyone has some kind of weird obsession with eggs. After they painted their easter eggs, they cracked them open and just ate them like regular hardboiled eggs! YUCK. I’ve also tried pickled and deviled eggs. Both are really gross. The person who thought that eating cold hardboiled eggs was a good idea should be stoned. I miss our Easter traditions of going to Grandma’s house. While over at the Shepherds’ (our Branch President’s) they had a bunch of family and friends over, and they had prepared an Easter egg hunt, sort of like we used to at our Grandma’s house, I’m not really sure why we stopped doing that. But we helped the adults hide little coloured plastic egg-capsules with candy in them around the acreage. I think my hiding spots might’ve been too tough for some of the kids, but I remember Scott or Brandon or someone throwing one of those eggs up in big pine tree in Grandma’s front yard and no one could get it. These American kids need some toughening up on their egg-hunting skills.
Well I hope that Chelsie will do well working for Dad again. I know that there were days even when I rode to work with Dad, I didn’t want to talk to him. But I think that was because I felt like he was teaching a Family Home Evening lesson to me sometimes. Whatever. It’ll all work out in the end I’m sure. By the way Chelsie, has my iPod died yet? Has Benson truly erased everything on it only to replace those songs with the Halo soundtrack of each game? Has Dallin (or anyone) broken into my CD collection yet? (I wouldn’t mind it if they did, I just hope that they don’t scratch or break the cases/discs themselves). I would appreciate messages from all you guys!
Elder Low
P.S. Dad I got the letter you sent to the Pittsburgh mission a while ago. It was a good read, could you let me know some more of the areas you served in? Or anymore tips about the mission? Or people you talked to or converted? That’d be grand.
P.P.S. I never got said package you sent. Could it have gotten lost whilst on it’s way over the border? Or maybe it’s at the mission? I don’t know what’s up with that.
P.P.P.S. My home address is:
Elder Tanner Low
301 King St. #1
Bedford, PA, USA
15522
(I would discourage you from giving this address to my friends as I could be transferred by the time I get their mail, whereas I’ll always let you guys know right away when I’ve moved).
No comments:
Post a Comment