Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission

Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission
Pittsburgh

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Monday, 11 February 2013


I honestly keep wanting to type '2012,' I guess I haven't completely grasped that it's 2013 yet. Maybe I'm just not used to anticipating being in this year. Wasn't the world supposed to end by now or something?
 
Probably the biggest thing to report on is once again, Marty, Donna and Katlynn. Marty and Donna were married on Saturday and it was wonderful to see them be here, at this moment, at this time. They've come so far and worked so hard. So much has changed. And it has all been because of the gospel. If we hadn't run into them at the time we did. They would be somewhere in North Carolina, in a constant tug of war between what they feel like they have to do and what they should do. They feel at peace. To see them look at each other the way they did on Saturday, made me realize how transformative the Atonement can be. Repentance shouldn't be frightening or offensive, but just as Alma described after his repentance, "there [could] be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was [his] joy." (Alma 36:21)
 
I was looking back on my week and honestly it didn't seem like all that much happened. And yet I'm happy. I feel at peace. I feel hope for the future. I'm anticipating a lot of good things happening this coming week. I don't think we have a day where we don't have an  appointment or two in the evening, I feel very busy which is great as a missionary. But I think most of all I feel at peace with God right now.
 
During our Zone Training this week (did I mention that my son, Elder Spohn is my Zone Leader?), our leaders were talking to us about redoing our area books in a new format and alphabetizing potential investigators written in there and for some reason they were making it sound like it had to be done. I threw up my hand and protested about how much time this would take us and they told us it would save a lot of time in the end. I persisted further, "But I don't have that much time left!" My zone leaders just kind of stopped, looking at me sheepishly, not wanting to make me do anything, but still upholding what they had been told in Zone Leader Council. All of a sudden how short my time is has come crashing down on me. And not in a trunky way, but in a "I need to do everything I can NOW" kind of way. Our ward is behind us fully now and we're all working towards many baptisms in the coming week but I feel like there is no time to waste. I'm seeing the need to not procrastinate everywhere, the need for me to "come with full purpose of heart, and cleave unto God as he cleaveth unto [me]... while his arm of mercy is extended... in the light of the day" (Jacob 6:5). I called my mission President this week because I felt the need to apologize for not being the best that I could in these last two years. I wish that I could have more fully thrust in my sickle with all my heart, might, mind, and strength. But the past has passed and I'm not done yet.
 
But like I said, right now is good. This letter may seem extremely schizophrenic, but it's an interesting feeling that I have. One of hope, one of faith, one of the anticipation of the harvest, just on the horizon.
 
Elder Low

No comments:

Post a Comment