Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission

Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission
Pittsburgh

Monday, December 3, 2012

Monday 3 December 2012



It was harder to leave Erie than I thought it would be. I didn't think it would be as I had been in the same ward for 7 months, but everything that happened Monday evening and Tuesday morning changed everything for me.
Foreseeing my inevitable departure weeks before, I prematurely signed my favourite family (The Clarks) up for my last dinner appointment Monday evening. It was wonderful as it always is but our goodbyes suddenly began to take an effect on me – I was actually leaving. I received a long bear hug from Brother Clark as I knew he was showing his sincerity in that way. Sister Clark gets very attached to us missionaries, so when these days come, it's hard for her to see us go – she started to cry and after a quick tease from her husband, she whispered through her tears, “Bye, Elder Low...”A wave of emotion came over me and I felt like it was terrifically difficult to leave. Silence fell among the Erie 1st elders on our drive away as solemn piano music rang out from the stereo, reflecting the emotion of the evening.
The last person I had to say goodbye to was Bernie. Remembering how far he's come from our crude first encounter in a Rite Aid parking lot in a rundown area of Erie, he seemed so much more promising and progressing from the man we met those months ago. Around 8:00 AM on Tuesday morning, Bernie texted us telling us that he had good news and that we should come as soon as possible. Because it was still time for our studies before we had to go out, we had planned to stop by him at 10:00, but his impatience grew and he called us to tell us the good news.
Sitting in his living room later that morning, Bernie spoke of the night before in which he had been at his band rehearsal. He had been trying to get a hold of his friend Mark (the latter-day Saint he grew up with who now lived in Utah) since we started teaching him but had been unable to until that night. Excitedly relating his amazing experience at Church last week, the conversation with his old friend ignited a desire for him to really pray about the things we had taught him. He said that he knelt for a long time, praying and meditating about the Church. Suddenly, an unexplainable feeling of light filled him that he said he had never felt before. He said it brought him immense joy, erased his medical pains, and made him fall in love with his wife and kids all over again. He said he felt a huge burden being lifted, like he was 50 pounds lighter and walking in the air. That feeling apparently lingered with him even until that morning when we came over. He decided at that moment that he would convert to the Church and unify his family with this feeling of inexplicable joy.
The thing I personally appreciated the most about Bernie's honest experience was how true he knew our message was. He said that he has had other missionaries come before and none of the had the impact we did. I have always wanted to feel like I was meant to be somewhere, serving at that time for a reason. I couldn't have had any greater witness than Bernie telling us how much he loved us and our message. “You guys have changed my life,”he said, “how can I ever thank you?”
You can imagine the how difficult it was for me to leave all these members and investigators I have gotten to know for so long at the drop of a hat. It's hard but it's also very good. I really feel like I made an impact in Erie and I've seen so many miracles there.
Coming to Dover was a little more of a different experience. My new companion is Elder Rowzeé, a missionary from West Jordan, UT who's been out ten months and actually started his mission in Hershey, so we have fun talking about that. I'm excited about this new area because there is so much going on. I feel like there's a lot of low-hanging fruit as 90% of the current investigators we have are part-member families, all just waiting to be baptized. The problem (I think) is just getting the fellowshipping they need. We have a wonderful Ward Mission Leader named Brother Shoemaker who really knows what he's doing, but to the point where he makes some of the members cheesed off a little. He knows what members need to do for missionary work and sometimes they are less than happy to comply. I've never sat in a more tense Ward Council meeting where my Ward Mission Leader was silent and staring everyone down. The Ward Mission Leader is supposed to be our bridge to the ward not the other way around. But hey, it's a work in progress.
I've really enjoyed being around the members. We visited one member at her home and her nonmember daughter was there with her. We asked her if she had considered baptism and she thought about it a little and said that she hadn't! We have an appointment with them tomorrow and she was excited to talk about baptism. More interactions included being pulled into Christmas performances soon to come. Because Elder Rowzeé likes to sing and I like to sing, we're being recruited left and right to do musical numbers for Christmas sacrament meeting and the Ward Christmas Party. We are definitely going to sing “What Child Is This” and “O Holy Night.” I don't mind as much, it's a good way of getting to know the members really well.
Well, that's it for now. I hope you all remember the greatest gift given at this Christmas season (see John 3:16)!
Love you all,
Elder Low





No comments:

Post a Comment