Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission

Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission
Pittsburgh

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Monday March 19th, 2012


It’s been quite the week. I have literally been all over the place and seen many miracles wherever I was. I told you last week that later on that Monday we would be challenging one Young Women’s boyfriend to be taught by way of a challenge at basketball. Unfortunately, the competition didn’t last long when Elder Kovacs jumped and landed badly on his ankle. It immediately started swelling and literally looked like someone had shoved a water balloon under his skin. We subsequently wasted the rest of our day waiting in a walk-in clinic, where the doctor there diagnosed his injury as a strain on the ligaments in his ankle. Though he was cautioned to stay off of it for three days and walk only out of dire need on crutches, we spent only the next day in our apartment when Elder Kovacs deemed it boring and we went out and worked. It gave me some time to catch up on a few letters but it was weird staying inside on such a nice day. Although we cancelled an exchange with the Ridgway District Leader due to his unfortunate circumstances, Elder Kovacs felt we could still conduct the second exchange we had planned that week with the Brookville Elders. 
Since Wednesday morning, I have hardly been home. I traveled up to Brookville to work with one of the Elders up there, only to find it very reminiscent of my Hershey days where we were destitute of a car. But the weather was beautiful and we walked around a lot, finding (to this Elder’s surprise) many people to follow-up on with the gospel. While we were finding the prepared in heart in Brookville, Elder Kovacs and this other Elder’s companion were able to pick up a new investigator of their own in Altoona. I know the Lord is blessing us whenever we are being obedient, no matter where we are.
 I was only back in my own area for a little while, but during that window of time, we had a set appointment with an investigator I’m really excited about. A couple of weeks ago I emailed and told you about a man that we tracted into who reluctantly let us in and we taught a first discussion. Since that time, we’ve had one appointment with him where he had read the Book of Mormon we left with him up to 2 Nephi 5! And his questions were awesome! Unfortunately since that time, he said he wouldn’t be available until 2 weeks later. And that takes us to Friday. Worried that he might have forgotten our appointment in those two weeks, we arrived with little faith. To my surprise, he was there, having continued his reading in 2 Nephi and skipping to the chapters in 3 Nephi, because he wanted to read about Jesus’ ministry on the Americas. Since we advised him to only research the Church on mormon.org, he again had awesome and unbiased questions that led us directly into the Plan of Salvation. He absolutely loved the fresh and logical look at God’s plan for us and told us he was beginning to understand and know the things we were telling him to be true. I am amazed at how prepared he is, the Spirit of the Lord is truly working on his desire to believe.
 However shortly following that appointment in Hollidaysburg, I was made aware of a situation that happened in Bedford where I had to go on an emergency exchange down there for the entire weekend (that’s actually where I’m emailing from). It’s been a lot of fun serving with Elder Garner here again, looking up my old investigators (of which, there are two that really want us to come back, namely Paul!), and rekindling my love for the branch and the area. Many of the branch members remembered me and I had a lot of fun participating in the program at Church last minute as well as having dinner at some of the members’ homes that I got really close with.
 I know this stream-of-consciousness letter probably wasn’t the most interesting or coherent read you’ve come across but know that this week has been a great one for the work. It’s those little faith-originating day-to-day miracles that help me have hope. I know that miracles don’t convert, neither does proof nor logic; but to strengthen our testimonies, the Holy Ghost reaffirms our faith when we are truly seeking. I’m so grateful for a loving God who showers tender mercies on us everyday. It’s just up to us to open our eyes in faith and see them.

Elder Low

No comments:

Post a Comment