Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission

Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Mission
Pittsburgh

Monday, March 5, 2012

Tuesday February 21, 2012

It really was a happy President’s Day yesterday as the sun came out and Elder Kovacs and I wandered around Hollidaysburg in shorts and wielding tennis rackets, searching for a place to play. But I truly have no idea what I’m supposed to do on President’s Day. Is that the day that we… remember… Presidents? Is it somebody’s birthday? American holidays are so strange to me. That’s cool that you guys had a Hawaii party; ever since you mentioned a possibility of a vacation to Hawaii last week, I’ve been dreaming about the fun we would have and what we would bring and who would come etc. etc. It didn’t help that we discovered that a couple in our ward run a hypnotism business and after our dinner appointment with them, the husband lulled us into a state of relaxation on our own private beach. However, like you, Mom, pretending will never be able to replicate the true warmth of that place, and realizing that makes me quite the sad panda. All in all I’ve felt pretty trunky this week… BUT the work is still pressing forward! We’ve had a lot of cool success this week, particularly with the members.

Members, generally speaking, don’t really get missionary work (and I’m not trying to sound preachy, I definitely didn’t before my mission). In a desperate attempt to satisfy the post-dinner appointment plea of a referral, members may spout off the address of some random friend that the missionaries can go knock blindly. The most solid member referrals, in Pennsylvania anyways, seem to be the ones where the investigator refers themself and the member need only be the connection to the missionaries. Not that I’m complaining or anything, as we just received a referral like that this week. One of the less-active ladies in our ward has a nurse who is searching for the correct church, and impressed with the lady’s surety of the validity of the Book of Mormon, she started to ask questions and attend church activities. Elder Kovacs and I were able to meet her and subsequently call her for an appointment this Sunday. I’m so grateful when people are prepared by the Lord like that. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing!

Elder Low

No comments:

Post a Comment